We all believe in the power and effectiveness of the cleaning products we can buy at the local store but are they really the best choice for our household? In fact, most of the cleaning products are highly effective and really guarantee the results we are looking for. You can find anything you want – upholstery cleaning products, products for taking care for mattresses, rugs and curtains and stain removal solutions. However, most of the products you can find at the local store are also containing harsh chemicals and toxins that are dangerous for health and put a safety on risk once they are dissolved and spread in the indoor air and things get even worse in rooms with poor ventilation. It may surprise you, but there are not strict regulations and standards for the ingredients used in the cleaning products you often use on a daily basis. On a regular cleaning day at any household, the number of harsh chemicals dissolved can lead to allergies, irritations and a number of conditions putting your health and safety at risk.
Don’t panic, because you can effectively clean and maintain your home and workplace with using products and materials that are completely safe and healthy. Products that can be found in any household, really, and they won’t break the bank at all, neither they require specific skills and knowledge. One of the most useful and effective, when it comes to cleaning and maintenance products is baking soda. Today we are sharing with you five ways to clean with baking soda!
- Carpet cleaning – Baking soda can transform any tired, old and sad carpet into looking like brand new, extra fresh and with improved condition. Baking soda is also particularly good for getting rid of stains left by spills and all sorts of unexpected accidents that can happen and ruin the look of your carpet. You can always sprinkle generously baking soda over the spill and the stain because it will absorb the excess liquid and prevent the stain from getting permanent. Leave this overnight, if possible, or as long as possible and the magic will happen!
If your carpet needs a SPA day, you can use baking soda for that too. Cover your carpet with baking soda and leave it overnight. The next day vacuum thoroughly and your carpet will look fresh like a daisy after that!
- Unblock drains – There is an easy way to deal with clogged drains by mixing a ½ cup of baking soda with two cups of vinegar and pouring the solution down the drain. Then rinse through with boiling water and the problem is solved!
- Tarnished silver can look like brand new with the help of a bit of baking soda. Boil one cup of water and then add one sheet of aluminium foil to a baking pan. Add one spoon of baking soda and one spoon of salt, then a ½ cup of white vinegar. Pour the boiling water and add the silver pieces that need refreshment. Make sure each piece is touching the foil. Tarnish will quickly transfer from silver to the foil.
- Degrease your oven – Use baking soda for getting rid of grease and neutralising smells in your oven. Use a paste for cleaning the oven that is made out of ½ cup baking soda and a few tablespoons of water. If it is possible, let the treated with the paste areas sit overnight for better effect.
- Get rid of mould and mildew in your dishwasher – In order to kill all the nasty and annoying mould and mildew in your dishwasher, start with dissolving a few tablespoons of baking soda into a cup of water, pour in the bottom of the dishwasher and then run a cycle. That’s it, easy as a piece of cake!
For sweeter dreams, make sure your mattress is clean and fresh enough. Here is a DIY receipt for mattress cleaning.
Not having what to do on a rainy day? Cleaning your blinds is a great project to start, have a look at what to do!
Carpet steam cleaning vs the hot water extraction method, is this the ultimate battle or each of both services can be performed in different situations?
Everyone needs some professional cleaning help from time to time, so don’t feel guilty for hiring the professionals.